Sunday, March 1, 2009

Turtles!


I have accidentally started a turtle collection. I say "accidentally" because all of my turtles have happened upon me by accident...given to me by some very special people in my life.

Why turtles?
Well, turtles are the symbol of fertility.

The turtle is a powerful symbol of both fertility and protection. In Native American culture the turtle represents strength, patience and the power to endure and persevere. All gifts that we need on our journey, while we wait until the moment we can cradle our miracle babies in our arms. http://www.labelledame.com/fertility-jewelry.html

The nurses at the clinic know about the turtle being the symbol for fertility. When one goes in for a procedure, they bring the patient a small fertility turtle to hold for good luck.
-
There is even a popular hotel chain trying to make a buck using the "fertile turtle." Yup, believe it or not, there are "Fertile Myrtles Meet Fertile Turtles" vacation packages at the Marco Island Marriott. Seriously?! http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2008/6/18/152449/214/hotels/Fertile_Myrtles_Meet_Fertile_Turtles_at_Marco_Island_Marriott

My Turtle Collection is now up to 4 turtles - all given by special people in my life - which is really what makes them so meaningful to me.

-A close friend who also went through infertility to conceive her son, gave me a small wooden fertility turtle.

-This fall, my mom gave me a tiny little, handmade clay turtle.

-As a Christmas gift, Patrick's great aunt gave us a ceramic turtle.

-A dear friend, Carissa, gave us a soft, stuffed turtle puppet for our future baby....so sweet. ;)
-
-My Grandma Eleanor in Des Moines suggested I get a "real" turtle for good luck. She said, "Just have Patrick clean the cage so you don't have to." (If you knew my sweet Grandma, you'd find this quite funny...) ;) FYI - I do NOT plan to follow her advice any time soon. Kramer would be scared out of his wits. ;)
-
All of my turtles are kept on my nightstand and are considered special treasures that prove that others are wishing us luck on our journey. While I'm not one for superstition, I love the turtles. I love what they represent: there are loved ones cheering us along in our journey.

***
Try to be like the turtle....at ease in your own shell.
~Bill Copeland

No comments: