I left Patrick and Kramer at home to hold down the fort and traveled to Iowa with my parents. It was a nice visit. I spent the weekend visiting with my family - and being reminded of exactly how much of a "Funaro" I still am. It makes me laugh just how similar we all are - and then...how very, very different. The glue that holds us all together is Grandma....well, Grandma and a little bit of pasta sauce...and love knot frosting.
So, to honor Grandma - here is a top ten:
Top Ten Things I Love About
Grandma Funaro
1. Her unique language for everything from "Walmark" to "Wheels on Meals" - she has a way of turning every, single, simple word into something confusing. :)
2. Her devoted prayers (she recited them for me this weekend). She constantly prays for all of her family - and for Patrick and I's future family. Here is where she put our picture...by Mother Mary...and her baby. She always tells me to pray, "Your will, not mine." I do.
3. Her pasta - and - what else would an Italian grandma keep in a FIVE GALLON bucket?
Parmesean cheese from Graziano's Market. Duh.
4. The animals in her neighborhood - like the one pictured below. She insists that this is a beaver - or a groundhog - but it is absolutely NOT a cat.
5. Her talking....she never stops....no. matter. what.
6. Her cookies - Love Knots are her specialty - but, she gave me her recipe for biscotti this weekend. Yum. Now, fingers crossed that they will turn out like hers.
7. Her stories - she has an impeccable memory and can share stories from her childhood with crazy detail. I can't remember what I wore yesterday - guess I didn't inherit that trait!
8. Her faith and strength - she has not had an easy life - and yet, when she reflects, she says her strength came from her "faith." She has an undying devotion to her church. On Easter, Patrick and I love taking her to church. It is her home.
9. Her stubbornness - don't even try changing something in her house - she will yell at you. I promise. Just ask Patrick. ;)
10. Her undying devotion to her family. She told me a story about always leaving a "party" for her 5 kids when she had to leave them with a babysitter. She told me she had to leave them with something special since she was going out without them. She would leave them soda pop and cookies and treats...so they could have a "party" while she was gone. That is one of many stories that shows just how much she gives love to her family.
***
If nothing is going well, call your grandmother. ~Italian Proverb



2 comments:
SO sweet. What a beautiful woman, and what a beautiful way to describe her.
Your blog made me tear up...I miss my grandmothers so much! You are so blessed because she has lived such a long and beautiful life.
Post a Comment