Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Breathe

Take a deep breath.

***
When you're going through infertility treatments there is one word that is said more than any other, "RELAX!" Apparently, there is scientific research that shows that stress directly affects one's ability to conceive. While that may be very true, that advice can be very frustrating.
The process of infertility treatments are not very conducive to relaxation. In fact just keeping up with the monthly calendar of events is enough to make me crazy at times.

Here is a quick overview of one of my most recent calendars:

Day 1: Cry my eyes out. Get a blood test.
Day 3: 7:30 am ultrasound, 7:45 blood test and 8:00 doctor appointment
Day 5-8: Take pills at 7 pm
Day 8: 7:30 am ultrasound, 7:45 blood work and 8:00 doctor appointment
Day 9: Start injections. 7 pm sharp!
Day 10: 7:30 ultrasound, 7:45 blood work and 8:00 doctor appointment
Day 11: Continue injections. Call doctor to check estrogen levels. Start ovulation predictor kits.
Day 12: ultrasound, blood work and doctor appointment. Call doctor to check estrogen levels.
Day 13: Last injection.
Day 14: 7:30 appointment - back at 9:00 am for medical procedure
Day 14-28: Take progesterone each morning and each night
Day 28: Blood test
If negative, repeat cycle.
Oh...and by the way "RELAX!"

Needless to say, I've been working on relaxing. :) I know that it is a key ingredient in this recipe of treatments. Yet, it is quite difficult, indeed! So, I decided to take a Yoga class with a friend. I would highly recommend it. It really is relaxing. I actually learned to breathe. I learned to stop and simply take a long, deep, healing breath. It is amazing how just stopping in the middle of the chaos of life and taking a deep breath can calm you in an instant. I find myself stopping throughout the day and just taking a deep breath. The next time you feel stressed - try it.
I promise...it works!
***
Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure. ~Oprah Winfrey

No comments: