I love my job. I work in an amazing school district with incredible people who truly do what's best for kids at all cost. I enjoy almost every aspect of what I do from 8am-3pm - but, there is one thing that really gets me down....Unfortunately, while working in an elementary school, the majority of our time is spent with kids who come from very unstable homes. Seeing exactly how some children suffer because of this instability makes me ache. Hearing some of the stories breaks my heart. Learning about the home-life that some kids deal with is heart-wrenching...especially for someone like me who is struggling to start a family.
It is really difficult not to question God's judgment when I listen to the devastating stories of drug abuse during pregnancy, severe child neglect, and physical, emotional and sexual abuse...knowing the whole time, that Patrick and I still can't conceive.
It makes no sense to me.
What I am finding really interesting, however, is that seeing and hearing about these situations has been changing my heart. I find myself wondering if Patrick and I could possibly save a child from becoming one of these tragedies. What if we adopted an unwanted child....what if we intercepted a child from a devastating situation....what if we rescued a little miracle...what if we could help alleviate some of the insurmountable stress on the birth parents.....what if we could help, and while we helped others, we also filled a huge void in our own hearts...What if?
I am becoming more and more interested in this option. I have no idea where it may lead. But, what I DO know is that Patrick and I have a life of opportunities, a bright future as a family, and hearts overflowing with love ready to smother some unsuspecting child. ;)
It makes me wonder if we could change the world....maybe we could...for one child.
***
and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said…”
I made a difference for that one.”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GunVwl6K4M
The Starfish Story
Original Story by: Loren Eisley
One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed
a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.
Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”
The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean.
The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”
“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish?
You can’t make a difference!”
and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said…”
I made a difference for that one.”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GunVwl6K4M
1 comment:
What a beautiful thought ... you and Patrick have so much love to give to a little one ... I can't wait for that day!!!!
Love, Mom
Post a Comment