Monday, August 31, 2009

Our Hope Endures by Natalie Grant

Ever since I was little, music has been a big part of who I am. I love to sing. It makes me happy. It allows me to release. It heals me from the inside out.

I know that I've posted songs in the past. I find that occasionally I hear a song that completely touches my soul.
I heard this song once on the way up to a doctor's appointment in Minneapolis and then I heard it again today after a long day at work.

This song speaks for my heart. Those of you who know me well can imagine me belting this out in my car - I did exactly that this afternoon. ;)

Please give it a listen. As I listen to the lyrics, I think of my friends who truly illustrate that Hope Endures day after day. I think of my friend from college who lost her mom last year - or my dear friend, Laurie, battling breast cancer - or my many friends enduring years of infertility treatments and multiple miscarriages year after year - I think we can all think of dark times when we feel like the sun is hidden for years....but, hope does endure.
***
I will have surgery tomorrow. Patrick and I continue to be blessed by your thoughts, prayers and contacts. We are confident it will all go just fine.

Our Hope Endures by Natalie Grant:


You would think only so much can go wrong
Calamity only strikes once
And you assume that this one has suffered her share
Life will be kinder from here

Sometimes the sun stays hidden for years
Sometimes the sky rains night after night
When will it clear
But our hope endures the worst of conditions
It's more than our optimism
Let the earth quake
Our hope is unchanged

How do we comprehend peace within pain
Our joy at a good man's wake
Walk a mile with a woman whose body is torn
With illness but she marches on

Sometimes the sun stays hidden for years
Sometimes the sky rains night after night
When will it clear
But our hope endures the worst of conditions
It's more than our optimism
Let the earth quake
Our hope is unchanged

Emanuel, God is with us
El Shaddai, all sufficient
Emanuel, God is with us
El Shaddai, all sufficient
Emanuel, God is with us
El Shaddai, all sufficient

We never walk alone
This is our hope
Our hope endures, the worst of conditions
It's more than our optimism
let the earth quake
let the earth quake
let the earth quake
Our hope is unchanged

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful song...and yes I can totally see you belting it out! Thank you for sharing it with me. Love you, Mel